It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matt's Artwork (Update 5/17/10)
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 am 
Giga-Fan

Wow. That's just perfect for what I wanted for that character. Thanks a bunch. The outfit is really cool too. Mind if I use your design?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 am 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

Why sure, it was your design, I just gave it an overhaul >.....>

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:26 am 
Giga-Fan

She's got a bird on her head. It's a dove. A Mourning Dove.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Weekend drawings.

Post subject: Re: Matt's Artwork (Angel girl with bird, a loli, and practi
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 am 
Naughty-Fan

Hmm... consider the style of face you're using, I would suggest shortening the torso a bit. Maybe by half a head or so. This will help give it that "young" much more silly goose look.

Your knowledge of anatomy is there, its just its not polish enough? The shape and curves are there, but they are not scaled properly, or does not scale to fit properly...There's one thing that I've come to realize is that, the anatomy doesn't have to be spot on. It just have to be scale to fit into the appropriate anatomy. And by that I meant the style you're trying to achieve.

Try playing around a bit. Don't put to much details, just try drawing small, simple sketches to capture the proper anatomical proportions of the general body masses.

If you want specifications, here is what I'll say,
-Neck needs to be thinner, not too much! But just a tad thinner, and longer.
-For the female body, try to increase the size of the hips, and shorten the torso to 3 1/2 heads rather then 4.
-Trying push the chest out and up a bit. Really push out the arc of the back bone.

Keep it up man c:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:14 am 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

^this silly goose knows what he is talking about xD, That's basically the reason I'm not using proper anatomy in my works as well...with comes to anime style proportion>anatomy...proportion rules everything out depening on the style of choice >....> and the trick is to actually be able to make your characters appealing to the viewer even if they are anatomically wrong and get away with it xD. I always say that my characters are off in anatomy because they really are >....<

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:26 am 
Giga-Fan

Your characters always turn out awesome though--at least the ones you post.

Anyway, thanks for the crits, both of you. I'll keep working, hopefully with more tablet stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:35 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

doghateburger wrote:
Hmm... consider the style of face you're using, I would suggest shortening the torso a bit. Maybe by half a head or so. This will help give it that "young" much more silly goose look.

Fssssshhsepdpnhjedohahhh!! I was going yo tell him to make torsos longer. D:!!

SO. taking both Jason and I's crits in mind, my best suggestion to you would be to experiment to find out which you like better. :3

Quote:
Your knowledge of anatomy is there, its just its not polish enough? The shape and curves are there, but they are not scaled properly, or does not scale to fit properly...There's one thing that I've come to realize is that, the anatomy doesn't have to be spot on. It just have to be scale to fit into the appropriate anatomy. And by that I meant the style you're trying to achieve.

Iccy's right; if you fudge anatomy, usually people can't tell if it's done consistently, done well, and done proportionately. It seems to me like you know a lot about anatomy (especially compared to when you first started, holy crap--why am I not improving like the rest of you people?!), but something about the bodies still seems "off". After evaluating for a bit, I realized that maybe your necks could be a little longer (stylistically) and you need to work on posture.

Now I know you're thinking I'm insane right now, haha. You might want to flip the image horizontally to see what I mean. A lot of your drawings have people with bad posture in them. The characters hunch over a little bit, which, in effect, makes the anatomy look more off than it actually is. Just try to work on that! :D I had a big problem with it for years; my characters would stand like I do, and I have a really weird gait and posture (so I've been told by many).

Try playing around a bit. Don't put to much details, just try drawing small, simple sketches to capture the proper anatomical proportions of the general body masses.

Quote:
If you want specifications, here is what I'll say,
-Neck needs to be thinner, not too much! But just a tad thinner, and longer. Agreed
-For the female body, try to increase the size of the hips, and shorten the torso to 3 1/2 heads rather then 4. Disagreed, but discussed.
-Trying push the chest out and up a bit. Really push out the arc of the back bone. Posture; agreed.

Oh, I also checked out your DA page, and man. You are a little improvement monster! D: JEALOUSSS.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:30 pm 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

^yeah I really find this person's learning curve direction quite interesting xD, it sorta reminds me of mine because I suffered from the same stiffness mistake for quite a while @_@. And what's wrong with shoretning the torso? He did state that he is going for moe so that advice is pretty much specific and accurate >....>, it was like a word format of my redline xD.

Although I think I have to clarify about the Torso Iccy was talking about because it was bugging me, I think Iccy was referring to head to crotch region and not specifically only the torso because if I count heads from the top to crotch, you get 4 heads so the torso only uses 3heads like how I pointed out in the redline xD...in any case a 1head, 3head torso, 4head limb is realistic so shortening the torso a bit to make the limbs standout is a typical moe adjustment. Just as mine is shoretened by 1/2 head, that's also what Iccy was pointing out.

Although maybe Iccy does think in an advanced way in that the neck region is pretty much variable in vertical height xD...so aberrations of up to 1/2 heads because the neck is short for a charactor do exist >....> 3 to 3 1/2 heads for the region below the chin up to the crotch is really acceptable. I've tried it and no one seems to have noticed it so it's fairly effective xD.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

So much technicality! @///@

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:20 am 
Giga-Fan

Technicality is all right. I understood 99% of it, well enough to work off--even the Wiki article.

Mr. OC (Mind if I still call you that, or should I stick with your new name?) - I haven't undated my Deviantart in . . . many months. I'm thinking about updating more often though. That should provide a more accurate account of my REAL improvement (and I assure you, Seefy, it's not as big as you think).

Lengthening the neck is something I can easily do. When I start drawing some of those, I think about drawing a partial top-down shot and then decide against it, therefore leaving the neck too short. Can't believe I didn't go back and fix it.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 am 
Giga-Fan

When I first drew it I thought it looked really cute and stuff, then I went back three hours later and said, "Hey, this isn't that good!"

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 am 
Three-Fan

Hehe I have that same capricious attitude when it comes to art Matt my arch Moe style nemesis. But to the pic! I think you coulda define the fingers more and the limps seem a little to straight for my taste. But this is me inclinative mind speaking. Sorry if I'm not too good at critques but keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:42 am 
New-Fan

I think the over all height proportions look decent but I would definitely scale those shoulders back. I think I read somewhere that the shoulders should only be about 1.5 heads wide in moe-style. It'll give the body a much more petite look. You could also tuck the waistline in a little more as well to give her more of a curve at the hips, but that is kind of blocked a little by the pose.

One last nit-picky thing, the left hand (I know it's unfinished) kind of looks like it's reversed with how it's drawn at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Matt's Artwork (Moe-ish pic of the girl I liked last yea
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am 
Giga-Fan

Quote:
One last nit-picky thing, the left hand (I know it's unfinished) kind of looks like it's reversed with how it's drawn at the moment.

Ah! You're right! Thanks for pointing that out. It woulda taken me awhile to notice that. As for the other stuff, I'll try it. With moe, I've always been a bit afraid of making the shoulders too thin. I'm not quite sure about the waist area. I didn't wanna make her look too sexy with wide hips and such, but with a little more practice I think I can get it right.

Quote:
Matt my arch Moe style nemesis

I accept your subtle challenge~MUAHAHAHA!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:17 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

I agree; you should be more aggressive with your contours. The form of your bodies sometimes look a little doughy. I also think that the ankles could be better defined (though I like teeny tiny wrists and ankles. D:). I can already see some minor improvement with posture, though.

And oh yeah. I always do that. I'll start drawing at midnight, go to sleep, wake up, and think "this sucks, dude." Fresh eyes are a butthead to my ego. >:|

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next