It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matt's Artwork (Paint Tool Sai stuff)
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:56 pm 
Three-Fan

Pretty cool drawing there.

I might suggest using faster strokes to avoid rough lines, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:23 pm 
Giga-Fan

It's hard with such long lines though! XD I'll keep practicing.

(By the way, I'd click the hot girl and get a commission, but unfortunately, I have no money.)

My character Miri with some random guy from a scene where she's kidnapped in Dusk and Dawn. I think the picture itself is okay, but the lines are bad. I need to take some classes.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:41 pm 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

Make your working file 3x bigger than your actual image resolution so the change in size when you downsize it to the actual image will remove the bits of line streaks that are off also adjust the smoothing sensitivity of your sai to something that compliments your stroke speed...that should help you get better and smoother lines

The guy's left face needs to have more space based on his right half, you can remedy in three ways
1) moving his nose a bit towards his right eye
2) moving his right half closer to the nose and adjusting his right into proportion
3) expanding the left side of his face, to give more space for the left side details

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:07 am 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: Stuff
Reading: Stuff
Eating: Stuff
Drinking: Stuff
Playing: Stuff
Obitual Crow said pretty much everything.

Only thing i would say is use more line variation. Add thicker lines where there's going to be shadow lighter lines where the light is coming in. Then again it depends on what type of lines you want

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:36 am 
Giga-Fan

Obitual Crow wrote:
also adjust the smoothing sensitivity of your sai to something that compliments your stroke speed...that should help you get better and smoother lines

The Sai interface is still new to me. How do you adjust the sensitivity?

Also, I have the curse of "line petting," so I basically never do anything in long, smooth strokes. I need help on this as well.

Son44 wrote:
Only thing i would say is use more line variation. Add thicker lines where there's going to be shadow lighter lines where the light is coming in. Then again it depends on what type of lines you want

Assuming I aim to eventually acheive a moe-oriented style, what type of lines would be ideal? I think Seefy suggest round and soft, but how exactly would I go about doing that?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

At the upper bar, just below the menu bar, to the rightmost is an adjustable config "Smoothing"...try out the levels, while stroking with anybrush, so you get to understand what the numbers do...just observe the O cursor with respect to the . cursor when you move with your pen...for reference, mine is set to 5, the "ink" appears around 25 pixels late from my actual stroke thus any aberrations caused by my shaky hand smoothens out...

I also do this this line petting thing you say, because my tablet is small and Im used to drawing small figures on paper...the solution I proposed works for me, you don't really see segmented lines in my lineart because of the method I use because they pretty much equalize into one chunk after resizing >.>
Chii, one of the MT gods taught me that xD and I've been using it ever since. You should try it.
--
For this moe-oriented style, Im not quite sure what you mean by that because it depends on the style itself. Like for example, Lucky star is a moe type of show however since characters are pretty much very simplefied, thick lines work well. In contrast another moe style thing is noizi ito's, used in shakugan no shana and melancholy of haruhi suzumiya...the artist assumes the negligible line form where lines are too thin to even be noticed then complemented by skillful coloring.

The trick to moe is not really the size of the lines but more towards the low amount of lines used in total...of course that doesn't mean removing the details, it's just that realistic depictions of age and textures are absent that the prime form of beauty is presented...hence bishoujo and bishounen >.>

In general, in any form of visual art, it is best to use both thick and thin lines to your advantage...unless you're going for animation

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 pm 
Three-Fan

Oh cool Matt I wanna do a Moe style also. Nice drawings though. Only noticed mistakes on the last one and Obitual Crow pretty much gave the best advice. As far as line weight and junk for a Moe style I'm not too sure since I just started a few months ago. Hm maybe look at more Moe pics? Probably do already.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:44 pm 
Giga-Fan

@ Obitual Crow~ I'll do animation someday (college), but not today. For the next couple years before I'm off to college I'll work on drawing and writing. As for simplifying lines and such, I don't know exactly where I want to be, but this is an example of almost exactly what I wanted two of my characters to look like:
(The site might block you off though. I had to click "View Full Size Image" pretty fast before it redirected me to something else)
http://www.wallpapergate.com/data/media/1156/Anime_Babes_004.jpg

@ Alienninja~ A few months ago? I thought you were on MT longer than a few months. Anyway, I have tons of moe pictures and I'm always getting more. Yabuki Kentaro draws moe really nicely, so I look at his work a lot.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:34 pm 
Three-Fan

Yargh, but....I wasn't drawing anime. At least I think I wasn't. I'mma chekc out Yabuki right now,

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
Giga-Fan

Careful. His latest works have a lot of silly goose. (To Love Ru and Mayoi Neko Overrun) Black Cat is silly goose-free.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:38 pm 
Three-Fan

Heh I have 3 silly goose pics in my thread right now. I don't mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 pm 
Giga-Fan

Yay, silly goose! *Runs off to look at Alienninja's thread, smacks into the wall called dial-up*

All right, I'll look at it at lunch at school tomorrow.

And despite the failure that dial-up is compared to today's standard, I uploaded a picture that was actually over two hundred kilobytes! *Crowd gasps and murmurs, "Dial up can do that?"*

It looks kinda cool, but even I can tell that it's off, especially his right (back) leg. I'm thinking I should foreshorten it and his left (front) leg as well. And I don't know how yet.

Post subject: Re: Matt's Artwork (A pose that desperately needs critiques)
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 am 
Obsessed-Fan

I like the pose, too. :D

I don't think, however, that the problem is the character's right leg. Rather, I believe it's the left. The right leg is in a tense, braced position, while the left one looks relaxed with the foot in that position. It reminds me a bit of a ballerina, actually. Anyway, I think the easiest fix would be to position the foot so that the toes are pointing upward to perhaps suggest that he's digging his heel into the ground to stop after running really fast, or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 am 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

Based on your example, I think you would like these artists (Oh btw, that style of art is usually made for silly goose if you know what I mean)
Carnelian
Hiro Suzuhira
Mikeou
Aoi Nishimata
If you look closely, their line styles are about the same >.> and in fact I have Hiro Suzuhira as one of my idols
SO it seems it will be best for you to try using thin lines and you'll have to endure the burden of making lines smooth and flawless xD. However it's not as thin as what the painterly art styles use so it's pretty much easy to achieve
This style is what's commonly used for sim dating visual novels and the like and majority of which are bishoujo-style (full of H even)so if you run out of examples or references, it's best to hunt down those types of illustrators and of course be prepared to see lots of silly goose >.> and I doubt you'll run out of references for this style because there's plenty more artists who use this type

Simply put, you can choose not to use significantly thick lines and its actually better that the width of your lines are all equal...however edges are pretty much tapered out because that's a basic trick to making smooth transitions >.>, this is no problem if you have a tablet and working pressure sensitivity. I have to warn you though that getting used to this style may ruin your sense for drawing manly men o_0

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am 
Giga-Fan

@ Seefy - He coulda had dance training. Good to know it's an easy fix. I might actually fix it this time.

@ Obitual Crow - Whoa, thanks. Those are great links. And I don't worry about manly men too much. I'll work on that when it comes around.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 665 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next