It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Freeze-Ex's art Dec,12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:48 pm 
New-Fan

My arts are totally random.
but mostly focus on Touhou.
I realize that I don't really draw that much.
Which makes my drawing style consistently changing OTL
Maybe I should draw more ._.
I will try to put the my stuff in order.

07's work

Birthday CG for my forum friend =P

This is for my art fair

I rushed this through the night so it was messy

another art fair work

this time is somewhat well prepared.

another birthday CG, but then the draft is a year ago lol

a CG for my cellphone back cover

I used to have this as my background, but then....nuh

I dunno what to say when I finish this. I guess I was too rushed that I failed. lol

Christmas CG

random color pencil practice

thumbnail cg

another color pencil practice

another (ry

i did this in oekaki plus a bit photoshop

art fair in this year but then never got it done so I never get to finish it =(

A CG for all the people in CWHK30 (a doujin convention in Hong Kong

I totally rushed m doujinshi in a week lol

I guess I will post it up later and show how messed up it is.

recent work I have done

tried some new stuff

but then still messed up OTL

This is the picture that I drew for the CG tutorial.

The background of the draft was different from this one.

That is because I realize the principle of design thx to Blackmage.

I try to balance it out with the white pieces flying around

but kinda screwed it up~

Last edited by freezeex on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Freeze-Ex's art
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm 
Normal-Fan

DAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNN 0.0 awesumness to the extreme fo sho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am 
Fan's-Fan

Sir, you just earned another fan. I LOVE the atmospheres your most recent pictures have! I was never too much into Touhou, but these look great!

I hope to see more from you :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:14 am 
New-Fan

Oh gosh I love you!
The last image is so beautiful. I know that cause of the moon light she's in intense shadow, but my the only suggestion I would add to is maybe try adding another light source in the front, it would bring the image out a lot more. But that's only my suggestion :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:54 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Playing: Life isn't a game. Its a place for fun.
I love your artwork! Keep posting :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Lucky-Fan

hmm
You're great at colouring, I'll give you that. Otherwise your art is basically extremely generic anime, and it's not all that original. It looks like you use the same references from the same one anime style.

Looks pretty, but I've seen the same type of stuff ten thousand times. The 12th pictures probably my favourite though hehe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 pm 
New-Fan

TheSeraphim
Thanks OwO but....whats fo sho? (Photoshop?

Sutari
Thank, glad u like the atmospheres of the picture. I will keep working on it.

Ticocept
That's exactly what I thought after I finish the picture. Thank for the suggestion, I will watch out next time.

Brain132
Glad u love it. Thanks~

Toast wrote:
hmm
You're great at colouring, I'll give you that. Otherwise your art is basically extremely generic anime, and it's not all that original. It looks like you use the same references from the same one anime style. Looks pretty, but I've seen the same type of stuff ten thousand times.

Yes you are right www.
My art is indeed generic anime/manga,
its manga forum afterall......right?
I know that I have a lot or even too much of Touhou work.
I will try to draw something different next time.
But...do u mind identify the anime style that u mentioned?
I know what u are talking about but kind of confused lol
Thanks for all the useful suggestions.
I will look forward for more suggestion form u~ (if u want to lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 pm 
Lucky-Fan

indeed it is a manga forum, but that doesn't mean everyone should only draw manga O: I just feel like having a more unique style will give you a more open minded view of your art, y'know? It's completely your choice on whether or not you want to try something different

Quote:
But...do u mind identify the anime style that u mentioned?

I'm not a big follower on anime so I can't really name specific animes/mangas or artists, but if you search something normal like "moe anime", those would basically be the style you're drawing in:
http://www.google.com/images?q=moe+anim ... 20&ndsp=20

its just drawing in the same exact style and same type of anime tends to keep you in the same spot when you do art. You only improve in doing that style, you don't move on to better things and you make people think that thats all you can do, anime. I think it'd be cool if you just gradually tried out different mediums and styles, experiment. That'll help your growth in art, in my opinion.

keep drawing, I do look forward to seeing more of your stuff (:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 pm 
One-Lucky-Fan

I'm with toast in here.

Your work is not very good. Your paint is indeed good, but in anatomy, proportions and lines work its seems very off in some works.

Also, if you think that manga is animeish style, you don't know what is a manga. Because in mangas there are a lot of different styles and the anime one is the most modern and less complex of all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 am 
New-Fan

Toast wrote:
its just drawing in the same exact style and same type of anime tends to keep you in the same spot when you do art. You only improve in doing that style, you don't move on to better things and you make people think that thats all you can do, anime. I think it'd be cool if you just gradually tried out different mediums and styles, experiment. That'll help your growth in art, in my opinion.

Now I know what u are talking about.
i thought in the last post the style u meant are like different manga style
so I was a bit confused lol.
Back to the topic,
I totally agree about that I should expand myself.
cause I also study in a fine art school.
When I started, I really had a hard time working on it.
But then, it gets much easier as I practice.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Error 404 wrote:
I'm with toast in here.

Your work is not very good. Your paint is indeed good, but in anatomy, proportions and lines work its seems very off in some works.

Also, if you think that manga is animeish style, you don't know what is a manga. Because in mangas there are a lot of different styles and the anime one is the most modern and less complex of all.

I understand you what u are saying,
just so you know,
I am not disagreeing Toast.
In face I am agreeing what Toast said.
I was just confused lol.
As you said,
The anatomy is indeed my weakness.
I have planning to study more about anatomy.
So I will work harder on it.
One thing that I also notice,
is that I really suck at backgrounds.
So maybe i should work on that too.

About the anime style thingy,
I do not think that Manga is only animeish style.
Correct me if I am wrong,
As far as I know,
Anime is japanese animation that is, mostly in nowdays, drawn in Manga style.
Some of the anime are taken from well known light novels, manga or even games.
Beacuse of that, I do know there is a variety of drawing style in the world of ACG.
Everyone draw differently disregard if it is anime/manga or not.
I will give an example of american most known anime.
Naruto vs Bleach.
In manga, totally different style of drawing, totally different character setting and storylines.
And because of that, in anime, they have different drawing style depending on what the director / artisit of the manga, novel, games or etc wants.
The reason why anime character setting are very complex is for convenience of drawing, color and etc while doing the animation.
Of course, it would awesome if anime character are more detail, but then the anime company or studio just wanna safe money.
Overall what I think, Not only Manga have different style but anime also do have different style but it is just that the complex setting makes it all looks the same.
So that is why manga do not share the same drawing style in anime.
I think. lol

I think I type wayyyyyyyy too many stuff.
manybe I should stop here lol.
Btw thank for telling me the weaknesses that I have.
if u got any suggestion on how to improve it
please feel free to share it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:22 pm 
New-Fan

I'm loving your drawings, would be kool to see you draw something in the style of Kouta Hirano or Takeshi Obata as their styles are quite detailed and more anatomically correct than other more general manga types. Looking forward to seeing more work :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:51 am 
Normal-Fan

Listening To: Groupboard people
Reading: Eye lids
I call secret santa n_n

all jokes aside...
this is fantastic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:23 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
Guess I'll post since no one is bothering to even go into design. One thing that took me a while to beat into my head is just because a piece is finish does not make it good.
First let me say I love Touhou., but I'm not going to let my love for it influence this.

first picture; Thank you so much for not placing the piece in the center of the page, but the body is too symmetrical, even with the wind blowing the cloth, it isn't creating an asymmetrical feeling. While the red eyes, hair, and jewel is complementing the green grass, the figure is battling the grass for the line of sight. While looking at the character the grass is trying to pull my line of sight and vica versa.

Second picture; Same problem with the to characters at the very top, I won't talk on the color clash for this one since its actually fan work, but the balance of this some is tipping more to the left, and pulling from the right.

Third one, same problem as the above two, especially in the top left and top right two. The two characters are battling for line of sight. Another problem with the other is you are centering the characters which is creating a imbalance in the whole composition as one. Also you are not following the design element of the borders, each composition is battling it, hmm on second thought I'll actually the 3 to the left, and bottom middle one a little closer to make sure.

Forth one; what where you cut your drawing off at, the composition doesn't make sense the way it is now. The balance is also off, the weight of the moon does not balance the weight of the character.

Fifth; ignoring the color, this is actually a good one, the cropping of the feet is decent its balanced by the character being more to the left then the actual center, while the glowing ball and crystals are holding balance to the right of the composition. The left arm being held up is creating an asymmetrical feel making it feel more real.

I'm stopping here, because going any further is just repeating what is already said, but I'll leave you with this. There are 8 principles of design;
Unity and variety (unity- The feeling that everything fits together. It is a feeling of oneness, the opposite of unity is disunity, a feeling of disorder) (Variety- is the use of contrasting elements to make something interesting. The contrast, or difference, may be subtle, such as a slight change in texture or color within an area.)

balance- refers to the ways in which the elements (lines, shapes, colors, textures, etc.) of a piece are arranged. Balance can be symmetrical "formal", where elements are given equal "weight" from an imaginary line in the middle of a piece. Balance doesn't necessarily mean symmetry, though. Asymmetrical "informal" balance occurs when elements are placed unevenly in a piece, but work together to produce harmony overall.

emphasis and subordination- means that some things get more attention and some get less. Emphasis is used to draw our attention to something which would normally be considered the focal point, while subordination is mostly neutral areas.

directional forces- Paths the eye follow provided by actual or implied lines.

contrast- juxtaposition of strongly dissimilar objects , lol basically opposition of different forms, lines, or colors in a work of art to intensify each element's properties and produce a more dynamic expressiveness.

repetition and rhythm- repetition of visual elements give a composition unity, continuity, flow,and emphasis. Rhythm- created through regular recurrence of elements with related variable.

scale and proportion- scale is size related to another thing, and and proportion is size relationship to parts as a whole.

edit
freezeex wrote:
Toast wrote:

Now I know what u are talking about.
i thought in the last post the style u meant are like different manga style
so I was a bit confused lol.
Back to the topic,
I totally agree about that I should expand myself.
cause I also study in a fine art school.
When I started, I really had a hard time working on it.
But then, it gets much easier as I practice.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Error 404 wrote:
I'm with toast in here.

I understand you what u are saying,
just so you know,
I am not disagreeing Toast.
In face I am agreeing what Toast said.
I was just confused lol.
As you said,
The anatomy is indeed my weakness.
I have planning to study more about anatomy.
So I will work harder on it.
One thing that I also notice,
is that I really suck at backgrounds.
So maybe i should work on that too.

About the anime style thingy,
I do not think that Manga is only animeish style.
Correct me if I am wrong,
As far as I know,
Anime is japanese animation that is, mostly in nowdays, drawn in Manga style.
Some of the anime are taken from well known light novels, manga or even games.
Beacuse of that, I do know there is a variety of drawing style in the world of ACG.
Everyone draw differently disregard if it is anime/manga or not.
I will give an example of american most known anime.
Naruto vs Bleach.
In manga, totally different style of drawing, totally different character setting and storylines.
And because of that, in anime, they have different drawing style depending on what the director / artisit of the manga, novel, games or etc wants.
The reason why anime character setting are very complex is for convenience of drawing, color and etc while doing the animation.
Of course, it would awesome if anime character are more detail, but then the anime company or studio just wanna safe money.
Overall what I think, Not only Manga have different style but anime also do have different style but it is just that the complex setting makes it all looks the same.
So that is why manga do not share the same drawing style in anime.
I think. lol

I think I type wayyyyyyyy too many stuff.
manybe I should stop here lol.
Btw thank for telling me the weaknesses that I have.
if u got any suggestion on how to improve it
please feel free to share it.

The reasoning behind what you said is only semi correct, that is the reason why most 2-D Disney movies were drawn very simplistically, for easier animating ability. the reason anime and manga is the way they are, is because they are a graphic style. Very flat. From my understanding and discussion of anime with actual animators, anime isn't even an animation, but much of it is cut, copy, and past. Whether this is true or not I can't say myself as I am still a beginner in animations myself. Point of the matter, majority of anime is the same, the artist mostly use around 4-5 or five body types for every character, but just change the hair, clothes, and so on, this is very easy to see if you break an anime drawing dow to its basic elements. It can be seen just by going through these very forums.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:30 am 
New-Fan

>>Kamij

Thx

>>nextweek

huh?

>>Blackmage

Glad u like Touhou. \OwO/
Which character do u like the most?
I like Flandre Scarlet.

Though I learn all those 8 principles of design in school,
I never get to know how to use them correctly lol.
Through all the suggestion u made in each picture,
I can somehow see how I am making the same mistake again and again....I guess lol.
I will just ask a few question just to make sure.
-You mention that that fouth picture is balance is off right?
So will I be able to make it more balance if I resize the moon in to a larger size?
-I will estimate my failure on my eighth picture. If i am wrong, tell me.
The balance is off because of the tree and the people lights and shadows.
And it is unclear that which one is emphasis and subordination
Also the picture have confusing direction force? Not sure about this one.
-If a picture needs a balance, is it bad to just have a person in the middle?
-Does a picture have to require all the 8 principle of design?

Really apprectiace telling me the principles of design.
cause I really forgot about it.
now that u metion it
I will try to be more focus on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 am 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
Alice Margatroid, don't step to the five elements, or its a wrap. Then Reimu Hakurei; me and another classmate argues about her attack. I say she has the hadoken, but he says its the kamahamaha wave, and then that broom!

Anyways, No making the picture of the moon bigger would not balance it, it would make it battle for point of view. You can center the picture, I mean its your worek you can do whatever you want with it, but centering the work in the middle of the picture without a reason for it to be there doesn't help create balance. The middle of the page from top to bottom there is a imaginary balance line. Objects that are closer to it are usually either smaller are larger then the objects that are furthest away from it.

The way I would balance it out, I would move the moon to the right a bit, but avoid fully placing it on the center of the picture, Rescale the women to get here fool body on the paper (create about a 0.25 margins which I should not draw pass. I have other things to, but I think it would break the graphic feel of the drawing.

Actually your eighth one is one of your better.
The balance is pretty much fine from what I can see, I do believe your light and shadow placement is a little off.
The dominate force is the tree, and the line of sight is a diagonal path to the women. Which is a good thing, I'm not jumping back and forth looking at 1000 things at once.

Look at your star compared to the women, no go back to the moon, and girl with the scythe picture. Do you see how the balance is off on that one compared to this one? You see this is going into a basic linear perspective picture. My only real issue, is abstain the area of cropping you chose, and the red of the outfits does not complement the blue of the tree.

Also no one is at the center of the page on this one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next