It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: In this thread, Gaff posts stuff and asks you to hate it.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:16 pm 
Normal-Fan

As the name implies. Well, more or less. I was reading that art critique thread the other day and thought I might as well be clear that I'm up for any critique you'd care to throw at me. Please, be as damning as you like - it's the only way I'll get any better. :)

Depressingly, posting this made me realise how few things I've actually finished lately, but never mind - stagger onward...

Some older things from last year:

More recent sketches and a couple of avatars I made for people on another board:

And a reasonably successful doodle from my diary/planner thing, circa friday:

Actually, I should probably go post in the welcome wagon or something...

Post subject: Re: In this thread, Gaff posts stuff and asks you to hate it
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
I love your stuff, man. Guns...an AK? awesome intro xD

On the technical side. I think your lines could use a bit less scratchiness. Only speaking mostly for the last drawing.
The woman is a bit odd looking anatomy-wise, and her body is a bit manly imo.
Anyway too lazy to get all into it, good stuff, post more lol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 pm 
Normal-Fan

Heh, cheers. I often have to stop myself drawing people waving guns around, as it's an easy get-out when I can't think of a better pose to draw.

Assuming you meant the AK girl was the manly one, I do take your point. The woman in my reference photo was in her undies and I think I've probably made a mess of trying to put a shirt on her. It should probably be neater around her shoulders and waist...

Line-wise, yeah I get that a lot. I'm trying to work towards using a stronger, neater line, but I've always been a scrawler, so it feels like I'm trying to re-invent the wheel at times.

I'll try and get some more stuff up soon :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:14 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Wow, I love how you do facial profiles! :P

But on the lady with the A-K, her right (our left) knee is pointing the wrong way in relation to the foot. In that pose, the knee should be pointing the same direction as the toes.

Either that, or turn the foot in so its facing the same direction as the knee. But thats an easy fix. I hope to see more of your art!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:35 pm 
Crazy-Fan

AK lady is lookin' pretty manly. But your shit's all dynamic and awesome, so it's awwwwwright.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:42 pm 

Listening To: All old and new Rock music.
Reading: Toradora
Eating: Anything that has to do with hamburger.
Drinking: Water
Holy crap is the first guy Jason Statham?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm 
Normal-Fan

Awesome, someone recognised it (I'm not that great with likenesses). But yeah, that's Statham in the heartwarming family drama, Crank 2 :)

Sutari wrote:
Wow, I love how you do facial profiles! :P

But on the lady with the A-K, her right (our left) knee is pointing the wrong way in relation to the foot. In that pose, the knee should be pointing the same direction as the toes.

Either that, or turn the foot in so its facing the same direction as the knee. But thats an easy fix. I hope to see more of your art!

Ah - I hadn't noticed that, thanks. As you say, should be easily sorted.

Sottaceti wrote:
AK lady is lookin' pretty manly. But your silly goose's all dynamic and awesome, so it's awwwwwright.

Hmm, I'm thinking I might actually redraw her from scratch. I've been trying to work on anatomy anyhow and I've started drawing her hair differently since that one was done...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:39 pm 
Normal-Fan

I need the AK girl for part of a larger project, so I've started doing a bit of redesign work on her:

I don't seem to be having much luck translating her eyes in the front view into the profile shot.

The one in the bottom right is part of a larger figure, but it hasn't been going too well (just noticed the neck, blarrgh). It's surprisingly hard to find a reference photo of someone standing naturally without making an awkward/complicated/erotic posture...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:16 pm 
Normal-Fan

One of the other boards is running a 'CG workshop', so I've had a go at colouring someone else's lineart as part of that.

Think I may have overcooked it a bit in photoshop. I find choosing a colour palette and sticking to it difficult, so I tend to play with the hue adjustment more than is probably wise. I might try using SAI next time for the sake of comparison.

Last edited by Gaff on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:52 am 
Obsessed-Fan

Listening To: Muse
Reading: Wut- Sy's new name.
Eating: Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.
Drinking: Death
Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Wow. This is really good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm 
Normal-Fan

Thank you :)

The imageshack link seemed to have broken, so I've re-upped it to photobucket.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 pm 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

Gaff, I hope you dunn mind, but I have made a video critique for you here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QskkECDovFA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:51 pm 
Normal-Fan

I'm really quite humbled that you took the time to make a video about it, but I'm afraid the lineart isn't mine - I only did the colouring on this one... The lineart came from here originally, but it was used for a CG workshop over at the anime league forum.

I do take your points about the colour though. I got the skintone by just adding highlights and shadows to the background colour, which gives quite a natural look, but would probably make her seem very pale if you were to take the colour of the ambient light out of the equation. Adjusting the saturation to deepen the skintone is something that wouldn't have occurred to me, so I'll definitely remember that for next time. I was thinking one other possibility might be to add another layer above the skin on colour burn and try introducing a darker colour that way, but that might be overcomplicating things.

The reason the image looks so dark is probably down to my worrying addiction to overlay blending. I tend to finish pictures off by flattening the image, duplicating the flattened layer and setting the copy to 'overlay'. It makes the colours much more intense, but it does tend to darken everything up quite substantially. This is the original image before the overlay layer.

I've tried messing about with the settings to see if I could produce a lighter image without losing the intense colours though. This one has the duplicate layer set to hard light and the skin saturation turned up a little, but sadly, I don't think the difference is all that noticeable.

As I said before, I'll probably try using SAI to colour my next picture instead. Hopefully using a different program might get me away from the overlay effect...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 am 
Ninety-Nine-Nights-Fan

LOL, whoops! I didn't realize about the lineart, ahaha, my bad. *Smiles*

You can also adjust the gamma, levels..play around with that. One good thing to do is to find a reference picture. You can take off the colors from a picture to make it more natural, and you'll learn a lot more about realistic colors.

Something that needs to be considered is that light itself is actually white, and the amount of light will determine the value and saturation of any color. For example, holding a flashlight up to your finger will make it a lot redder compared to standing in direct midday sunlight. Be sure to also play with the balance of the shadows in terms of transitioning and reflective light. (The reflective light should be no darker than your darkest tone of your light colors.)

The skin, as it appears there, is yellower, and it makes her seem sallow and unhealthy. Skin can contain a wide variety of colors, from oranges, pinks, blues, purples, and even greens.

Color burning can be great, but it's better to learn to SEE the colors with your eyes. When you start a picture, find a reference, and start making a pallete. You might even drag, say, a pink hue over the main tone at a low opacity to get the desired color. Don't let filters determine your colors; it can loose a lot of reality by doing so.

Practice, practice, practice!

I personally tend to use a lot of clipping masks and I use a hard brush with a low opacity and flow. Then I give the hardbrush a bit of softness and go over it with, once again, a low opacity until it blends in. This makes your lines crisper.

You can use another layer to do stuff like that, but just try bumping up the contrast if it's not enough in the end. Just be careful not to "blast things to black."

Secondly, remember that blacks aren't always truly black. If you try to mix black yourself, say, with paint, you'll always end up with a slightly tinted hue.

Take the time to view some tuts on Youtube, or just watch other artists. Practice from RL. If you need any help, or tutorials, lemme know. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp9wGrSVP7U

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:42 am 
Normal-Fan

Hey nice stuff here, i really like the way you draw faces.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next