It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: The black mage's 2 concepts added
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:23 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
Well a while ago I made a statement saying I was no longer posting my work here for critiquing, and I still stand by that, but lately I decided maybe I should start back posting my work up, just so I can have a couple of places to go in case something happens, so here I am. You can stll see the thumbnails in the incomplete.

Incomplete renders
Story art

This is a semi rendered sketch of a frog in a storm, i will be fully rendering it in color pencil soon.

It is graphic animal, Flat space composition. I have no reason why it was the center of the page, and that is a mistake on my part.

these are just thumbnails i drew and then drew out to get a better feel for composition.

Character development
This is a incomplete sketched render

This was a incomplete character sketch for necromancer; beyond the abyss deadran.

b]Fron't view[/b]

Side view

full body

Realism

Enviroment & background work

3-D props

misc.

Rendered work

Work in Progress
Color layer 1

Color layer 2
Well I still have a couple of layers to go now.

Last edited by Blackmage on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:24 am, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Return of th black mage; enter into the abyss!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:30 am 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
We knew you couldn't really stay away...you knew too :|
Welll, I'll give my brain blast on this.

I know you like to use a bunch of pencils, and I think I've said it before...but I'll say it again just to make sure. Use a nice 0.7 lead pencil and a good worn out white eraser. And continually practice more and more form of anatomy, because when it comes to your characters there always seems to be something off proportion, and I don't know if it's an anatomy issue, or a problem with perspective.

Now going individually I don't know what's going on with that first one lol, I can tell it's a frog guy holding a vine, and that it's just a sketch...so I won't say anything there.

On the second one, the lack of some details here and there makes me think a bit longer as to what's going on with the composition, all I know is that they're pulling on something, but what exactly? Is someone flying? The only guy that makes sense is the dude on the lower left. And that's cool because it actually seems like there's force and pull with his stance, not much though...so he must be Superman lol.

The third one honestly to me looks like a clown face...with his head on fire. And therefore reminds me of Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal). Besides that, the face seems skewed to the right, if you drew a straight line right down the middle, you'd see that the features are not lining up correct, or maybe that's because you either took a picture of it or scanned it wrong?

The last one is my fave thus far. The clothing is looking pretty good, I like the way you make your cloth flow fluidly without making it really annoying. A few things that I'll nitpick at, is that the girls face is also skewed a tiny bit due to the nose being slightly off center. As for lighting and value and crap, I don't really see any so I can't crit it, although that would bring this to life a lot more..then again I'm practicing value and tone and shit myself right now so I can't say anything heh. Either way, just keep up the stuff, can't make any progress when you nobody's giving their thoughts, 'cause that's what moves the progress train.

>_> <_<...

Post subject: Re: Return of th black mage; enter into the abyss!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 am 
Devilish-Fan

Don't make me pull an assassin creed gunz!

@first one, The composition on it is off, I fully follow the rules of small medium and large when I started the thumbnail nor did I follow perspective.ultimately its a graphic which I will finish rendering, but I did not display what I was trying to properly.

@second, yea the lack of detail was because I wanted to mostly use silhouettes. I had no attention of fully rendering it, actually it have more detailed then originally planned. The are fighting a giant worm monster.

@third, yes I was thinking of all the different versions of sweet tooth when I was drawing it XD.

@Fourth, its a guy, that is deadran with his hood down and mask off (didn't tone his skin.) My instructor already told me I made the chin to round, which gave it a more feminine look.

Not of these pictures are anywhere near rendered sketches, and the only one that I am planning to render is the first one. Meaning the next upload of it will be much cleaner, with no open lines.

Edit; gunz I was wondering how would you like to work on a colab some time?

Post subject: Re: back in black!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 am 
Devilish-Fan

I found something i hate more then 3-D modeling! 3-D sculpting.

glass 2.0

figure sketches

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:17 am 
Crazy-Fan

3-D sculpting is great, what're you talking about. Nice renders, though. I imagine that fish took a decent amount of time and effort.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
Yea sculpting is the best there is right now. There's a high demand in the entertainment industry to know how to use sculpting programs like primarily Zbrush, mostly for high detail game characters.
On another note, those glass renders are good but the presentation is a bit off. I'd suggest putting something inside of them or moving the camera so it's not aiming right at them, because they are so translucent you can barely see them.
The shark is pretty cool, did you use a base or just straight up sculpt that out?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:39 am 
Three-Fan

Listening To: Ashes-Socialburn
Reading: My Freshman Year by Rebekah Nathan (for english)
Eating: babies
Drinking: booze
Playing: persona 4
Blackmage wrote:
glass 2.0

Ok... I just LOVE the one furthest to the left!

It looks like real glass to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm 
Devilish-Fan

I never said it wasn't great, or most used in entertainment art right now, I said I effing hate it, I can't effing stand it. One more week and I'll never touch Zbrush or Mudbox again, Illustrator all they way!

Also I posted two color layers in the op. For tje shark, I started with a model I did in modo then rotated between mudbox and z brush to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 pm 
Fan's-Fan

Listening To: Blue Sky Black Death
Reading: Let The Right One In
Drinking: Alcohol

I love this.

Post subject: Re: anatomical realism
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 pm 
Devilish-Fan

On the latest update, I know I shouldn't have chopped the feet off right there, I wasn't thinking when I was drawing horizontal rather then vertical. I also wasn't worried too much about composition and small medium and large, but more on anatomy.

Post subject: Re: anatomical realism
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 pm 
Devilish-Fan

I hate using my cellphone for this kind of thing. I decided to take this one back to my roots, graphic.

Post subject: Re: black mage, back to my roots.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Well I was finally able to update some stuff I drew a week ago, and also got some stuff I drew an hour ago.

I drew this head over a week ago, due to donavin H. busy schedual I wasn't able to get it back from him until about a day or two ago. (I get his critique on a lot of my work.) But here is an alien humanoid profile drawings. I'll also be updating my blog today with this, I haven't touched it in a while. I am not sure if I want to take color to any of this right now.
Fron't view

Side view

Well today in art appreciation I decided to build on the alien and give it a full bosy, As you can tell i was about to give it an enviroment as well, but then stopped un-sure the type of background I wanted.

full body

This was something random, it was originally going to be a half spider half woman witch, but i had no spider references at that moment. It is also incomplete.

Post subject: Re: black mage, back to my roots.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:28 pm 
Devilish-Fan

While sitting in my art appreciation class, I drew my instructor.

Post subject: Re: Imcomplete illustration; The knights last stand.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 pm 
Devilish-Fan

As visual developer and illustrator I feel I have not been pushing myself at all, so here is another illustration and story art I have started this time on 11 by 17 paper. Its about a knight who is on his last breath before a mighty monster about to crush him, I used over 12 different reference images (and I still can't draw armor worth shit.) 8 of them being different sets of armor, and 4 being octopus. there is a great deal of problems with my proportion, anatomy and perspective since in my 4 thumbnails I was fighting with the composition of this piece, but composition wise out of all four this one stood out the most, so I went with this one. I will continue working and if all else fails I will restart the illustration from scrap.

The nights last stand

Post subject: Re: Imcomplete illustration; The knights last stand.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:01 pm 
Devilish-Fan

im fixing the head as i post
http://i54.tinypic.com/k2fsqq.jpg

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next