It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tribal Punk Art
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lucky-Fan

epic epic epic style @_@ the first picture is pretty rad. I also really like your colouring style, very nice and smooth.

The new sketch looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished thing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
Well I can tell your set up is graphic, and ill have to go with child for these to. I could be wrong but it is definitely not heroic or animal, and it is too simplified to be realistic. Anyways my biggest peeve is the upper body of the first one seems unnatural. Like you are trying to for shorten the arms while trying to show the top.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:13 am 
Three-Fan

Listening To: Ashes-Socialburn
Reading: My Freshman Year by Rebekah Nathan (for english)
Eating: babies
Drinking: booze
Playing: persona 4
Error 404 wrote:
DUUUUDE kewl.

Well for improvement, hard, I like your style and the colours, and you use guidelines, it look proportioned, even more look like something that people would pay for it.

So I think the only critic I can do is more subjective in this case, so I think you should work on your line art. If you see closelly, al the lines in the first work, are very smooth, but in a point, like the face or the hair, lose all the smoothness and become very irregular in shapes.

Even so is something very tinny to change that you can even argument is style and at the end is something to improve only if you want to.

Also, Dude, I'm going to send you pm BJ (is a cool face with glasses).

Yeah I wasn't exactly going for super irregular lineart but a lot of my lineart ends up looking like so... I really need to improve my lineart skills :/

Toast wrote:
epic epic epic style @_@ the first picture is pretty rad. I also really like your colouring style, very nice and smooth.

The new sketch looks great so far, can't wait to see the finished thing

Thanks! :D

Blackmage wrote:
Well I can tell your set up is graphic, and ill have to go with child for these to. I could be wrong but it is definitely not heroic or animal, and it is too simplified to be realistic. Anyways my biggest peeve is the upper body of the first one seems unnatural. Like you are trying to for shorten the arms while trying to show the top.

Yeah I always thought I was like cartoony with tiny hints of realism here and there. But yeah definitely not heroic or animal.

But thanks for pointing that out. I think I know how I came about that result actually. I was trying to make the angle a somewhat upward angle, like the viewer is looking at her from slightly above. When I actually finished coloring it, I realized that it ended up not being the case so I tried to mess with some things like the background to make it seem like so. Obviously didn't work.... But yeah thanks for pointing the flaws out, I need to know what to improve on. ^^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 pm 
One-Lucky-Fan

I don't see how the upper body looks unnatural, for my looks complety good inside the cartoonish style, also give personality to the character.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 pm 
Crazy-Fan

Blackmage wrote:
Well I can tell your set up is graphic, and ill have to go with child for these to. I could be wrong but it is definitely not heroic or animal, and it is too simplified to be realistic.

You realize you sound like a big douchebag, right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:18 am 
Devilish-Fan

Sottaceti wrote:
Blackmage wrote:
Well I can tell your set up is graphic, and ill have to go with child for these to. I could be wrong but it is definitely not heroic or animal, and it is too simplified to be realistic.

You realize you sound like a big douchebag, right?

Really, cause I like breaking down the elements of people art work? You do realize that is one way to improve right? I said nothing that insulted the work or the artist, so how so? I expect the artist to correct me if I am wrong with my analysis if I am wrong, which I was corrected and left it at that. If someone can't take someone trying to break down elements of someone else work, then they shouldn't be trying to draw at all really.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:55 am 
Three-Fan

There's no point in throwing around art terms if you aren't going to actually critique the work, dude. Just get to the point already. Surely, talking the talk is all good and fun but walking the walk is what MT is about.

I like the style, personally. It's a good change from the norm. The coloring is very clean.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:08 am 
Devilish-Fan

I did critique the work, did yall read beyond the first sentence? Secondly you can't even say that when 3/4 of the post usually revolve around saying something like "omg epic" or "nice" and don't actually critique the work at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:25 am 
Three-Fan

"omg epic" or "nice" doesn't require elaboration. That just means the person enjoys the work. Besides, they do not put themselves in a position where they need to explain themselves. If I like a piece of work, I would say "nice", too, given there was nothing else I could say about it.

But when you start bandying around things like "hmm, well your style is not 'animal' or 'heroic'", you need to elaborate. What does any of that even mean and how does it pertain to the artwork? Without explanation, it just comes off as irrelevant rhetoric. And yes, you did critique the work, but you didn't critique it on the grounds of your post (which was mostly random art jargon). You said all this stuff about "set up"s and "graphic", "animal" and "heoric" without bothering to explain any of it. Furthermore, you went on to say Tribal's art is "too simplified" (possibly the most poignant point in your entire post) without even telling why or how it can be worked around.

So it just seems like you're blowing hot air, really.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:41 am 
Devilish-Fan

Reason I didn't was because I have already done it before ans even still if the person actually cared they would have asked. The point that they responded showed me the did have some understanding and the way they responded showed me they understood that this was my own personal analysis of it. I also never implied that being simplified was wrong in any manor of being. Yes I could have said some more stuff, but common sense dictates if they didn't know something then they would have simply asked. Its no different from someone not knowing what contour, gesture, anatomy, or proportions are which also area or have art definition counterparts really.

Edit
Please don't continue this here, pm me if you want to continue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 am 
Crazy-Fan

I'm just saying, you learned about composition in school, and now you act like you're a fucking expert on it and it's, like, all you ever talk about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 am 
Three-Fan

CypressDahlia wrote:
I like the style, personally. It's a good change from the norm. The coloring is very clean.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 am 
Obsessed-Fan

TribalPunk wrote:
I finished this recently actually:

But I have much more examples of the things I do too on my deviantArt

Enjoy ^^

GAH, I KNEW IT WAS WET MOON WHEN I SAW IT. <3

I lovelovelove the coloring. Actually, it almost makes me angry that I haven't thought of that technique for shading before. I've always airbrushed the shadows on cell shading, not the highlights. It looks way better when the highlights are airbrushed instead, like you did here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:29 am 
Three-Fan

OMG OMG OMG WET MOON FAN! I never really met another one outside of commenting on Ross Campbell's dA before. This is SO AWESOME. I don't know anyone else in person either that has read his material. I randomly have all of Ross's stuff besides Mountain Girl series. I am so obsessed. I did a really lame Natalie cosplay last halloween too (how she looked in the first volume at least).

Well what I did with the shading was I just darkened the general area at first- just one darker flat color. And then I used the burn tool to slightly darken areas and the dodge tool to slightly lighten areas. I didn't want the contrast to be too high between them but I think it makes a nice touch to them. I'm very glad that you think so too ^_______^

I actually thought of it initially from noticing the shading techniques in the Gorillaz's "Dare" music video. I noticed not only was there basic cell shading, there was gradation within those shadows (though the way they did it was a bit different from how I do things now). I decided to try combining the two as well and experimented with a few digital pieces (this being one of the first ones). I eventually came up with that method.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 am 
Obsessed-Fan

OTL I've never read Wet Moon, but I reaaaaaally admire the art and have been following its standalone character sketches from the artist for some time now. XD

And yeaaah, yeaaah, I totally see what you did with the shading there. Since "I prefer to so realistic soft-shading, I haven't really been concerned too much with finding a solid cell-shading method of my preference and efficiency, but I've tried darkening the cell-shaded areas with a dark airbrush and another method of leaving the dark cell shading solid and applying a dark-to-transparent gradient on the base color blocking. Neither worked, so I'm kinda nerdily excited to get to the computer I draw on and try this method, lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next